Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Did You Know...

1 cow = 1,460 gallons of milk per year
1 goat = 5000 cups of milk a year
1 angora rabbit = 2 pounds of fine wool each year
a trio of rabbits = 72 rabbits after 1 year
1 hen = 200 eggs each year
1 beehive = 50 gallons of honey each season

Did you know that heifer international supplies animals, training, and businesses classes to people in poor communities throughout the world.

I like it when people are willing to learn and work to improve their lives. The idea of self-reliance has always been appealing to me.

It's $20 to donate a flock of chickens to someone. A share of a goat, sheep, rabbits, or pig is $10. An entire heifer is $500.

If I were a better person, I would have asked my family to donate to heifer on my behalf as my Christmas gifts. But I'm not a good person, which is why I'm glad there are organizations like heifer that allow me to donate to ease my muddy conscience.

Check it out and see if there's anyone on your list who would think that is the best Christmas gift ever.

2 comments:

The Broards said...

It's a great organization Respighi!

CatBoy said...

I love this group, in fact, after a blog I wrote last year, they asked me to add them to my myspace friends list (so it has its merits).

I am making a donation this year for my aunt and uncle's gift, as they are getting more difficult to by for. (By the way, reading this post was what made me think to do it, so thank you for marking two people off my list.)