Monday, July 02, 2007

I Think I Almost Killed My Kitty

I must be the worst kitty mommy in history. Gracie has been drinking too much water lately, and using her litter box too much, which means that she needs a little bit extra insulin to help her balance things out and get her blood sugar back on track.

So last night I gave her a little bit extra. This morning I woke up around 10am (I'm on vacation), and she was acting oddly. I put down her breakfast which she ate a bit of, then I picked her up and took her into this room where I noticed she had been ill. I cleaned up that (hooray for the SpotBot), and I put her in front of the computer keyboard. She was almost totally limp, but purring and breathing fine.

Then her poor little kitty head started to move almost like she was going to have a seizure due to extreme low blood sugar. I ran to get her treats and anything I thought would have sugar in it. Within a few minutes, she was fine, and she drank some milk (has sugar) and ate more treats. I must have given her too much insulin last night, as she is a bit tired now, but otherwise behaving mostly normally. I haven't given her insulin yet today and will give her a smaller dose tonight.

My poor poor kitty.

1 comment:

CatBoy AKA Charles said...

I am glad she is alright. I am assuming (which really means this is a suggestion) that you will be taking her to the vet for a glucose reading so they can establish a new dosage, so you don't have to try to figure it out on your own.

That didn't sound too preachy or judgmental did it? It really wasn't meant to.