Tuesday, February 20, 2007

'For Your Consideration'

Christopher Guest's latest foray into the world of sublime parody left me feeling less than emphatic about recommending 'For Your Consideration', which was released on DVD today.

I felt 'A Mighty Wind' was a step down from 'Best in Show', and this film was a small leap down further.

Certainly, there were laugh-out-loud moments, such as when the character of a studio executive, while trying to convince the writers of a film called 'Home for Purim' to 'tone down the Jewishness' of the picture, proclaimed loudly, "I don't run around telling people I'm a Gentile, look at my foreskin! I don't cram it down peoples' throats!" Equally funny was another character's claim that she enjoyed Latinous food. When questioned if she meant Mexican food, she said, "No, Latin food, for people who speak Latin."

I won't bother relating the plot of the film, because the plot really doesn't matter. It is the ad lib character interaction that makes or breaks these films, and this was just missing something. It was still a funny film, I'm just disappointed it wasn't more so.
----------------------------------
The entry from the Intellectual Devotional for today was about James Joyce's Ulysses. Maybe someday I'll browbeat myself into attempting to read this work. Or maybe not.
----------------------------------
Sixteen days until I leave for Colorado. I still need to find something nice to wear to the awards banquet. Maybe I'll have time on Thursday to go looking.

1 comment:

CatBoy said...

That's too bad. It's unfortunate when good people make bad movies.