Saturday, March 13, 2010

I Was So Sick

I was so horridly horribly sick on Thursday. I'm still getting over it. I was touring stores with my boss this week. I started feeling extremely tired and needing to sleep when I was driving us from Tulsa to Rogers, AR (2 hours). That evening I had to close down my computer in the hotel room and go to bed. I just couldn't stay awake any more.

Then it all hit me about 2am, and I was so so sick. Somehow, probably because I was out of my mind, I got up, showered, dressed, packed, and went downstairs at 7am Thursday morning. I told my boss I was sick. He told me to go check back in to the hotel and stay until I felt better. He would rent a car and continue the store visits without me. He told me to keep him posted on how I was doing. I'm sure I looked like death warmed over. Poor guy. I grabbed some toast and a Sprite on the way back up to my room, and I stayed there in agony all day, barely able to take care of myself.

It's scary to be that sick and be alone. I started thinking that some people ought to know where I am in case I fell unconscious and dropped off the face of the earth, and the only thing I could think of was to post something on Facebook. I know that sounds ridiculous now, but it made perfect sense to my fever-addled brain then. Then I thought I'd call my Dad to see if he could come fly to Arkansas the next day and drive me home if I wasn't better. So I did both, I called Dad and I posted something on Facebook. So ridiculous. But at least now I knew there were a lot of people out there who could somehow help me if I needed it.

On Friday morning I still felt wretched, but compared to Thursday I felt fantastic...everything is relative. I started to drive myself home, but should have waited a bit for the Gatorade to even me out, because I was having some problems thinking straight. After a while, I was feeling better, and I finally made it home.

This morning I'm still very weak and I hurt all over, but I no longer have a fever, so I'm going to try to go to rehearsal today. We're not marching outside yet, so rehearsal is not that demanding except for visual (marching) basics. It hurts to play my horn because I pulled every muscle in my torso on Thursday, but I think I can suck it up and just deal with it. Plus, I get severely pissed when others miss rehearsal when they're 'not feeling well', so I figure I need to show up so they will stfu and get to rehearsal every time.

I gotta go now and get ready. Have a good Saturday.


Catz said...

sorry to hear you weren't feeling well. was just there a few weeks ago myself. get better soon.

Jilly said...

sounds like the body flu. i've been fighting the body flu since wednesday. part of me prays the baby doesn't get it because it's miserable, then the other half of me just wants her to go to sleep so i can too. glad you had a plan of action set up in case you got really ill.

UrbanStarGazer said...

You're crazy for going to rehearsal.

CatBoy said...

I had a similar experience when I was in New York in '05. One night I had a fever, every part of my body hurt, and I could hear my heart beating. It scared the shit out of me, so I undid all the locks on my hotel room door aside from the one on the knob (easily busted through if need be) and slept with my cellphone in my hand. I wanted to make it easy for EMT to get in if I called them.

CatBoy said...

By the way, had that trip not coincided with the original DWO forum crashing a few days before, I might very well have posted a message there with my cell number asking someone to send me text messages every few hours.

Despite my near-death experience it was a nice trip.