Saturday, April 26, 2008

I Have Returned





I got sick at my conference...a raging sinus infection...so I was uncomfortable and snotty and stuffy, but I still thoroughly enjoyed myself, learned a great deal, got a lot of free stuff, and accomplished many things.  

The run-down on the author speakers:
Bob Woodward was engaging, Harlan Coben was difficult to understand, Jenna Bush was overly articulate, Lisi Harrison was delightful, Tom Avitabile was excited, Dennis Lehane was interesting, and David Sedaris was, well, hilarious as you might guess.

I am pleased and proud to say that I rocked the house with my presentations.  My boss called it 'perfection', and her boss said I was 'wonderful', along with a host of other compliments from my peers and several home office people.  There's nothing like a compliment to give one an ego boost.  I was particularly pleased that I was able to present so well because that was the day I felt the worst and had not been able to sleep much at all the night before because of it.  That was my first time to present in front of a group of 150 people, so I am happy with the result.

I got lots of goodies from our vendor partners as well as a box chock full of Ghirardelli chocolate squares.  It's a good thing they're dark chocolate, and I don't like dark chocolate, otherwise I'd be tempted to eat them!  As it is, I'm taking them to the store.

My store won an award which is always nice.  But the funny event during the big awards ceremony is that one of my peers was in the bathroom when his award was announced, so we sent another GM up on stage to accept it on his behalf.  We teased him mercilessly when he returned from the bathroom.

Above are pictures of the signed books I got.  The rest of my loot is still in transit.  And you can also see the box of chocolates.  No Charles, you cannot have my David Sedaris book.

The last picture is a warning sign for an underground cable.  Trust me when I say that when driving 70 mph in the South and seeing this on fenceposts from a distance, it really does look like a swastika.  I was very relieved to learn, after having stopped in Pascagoula, Mississippi and seen it up close, that it is something far more benign.

I was back at work today and got caught up fairly quickly, which is easy to do when everyone was basically out of office last week.  Exactly 2 weeks from today I'll be on a cruise ship sailing from Ft. Lauderdale.  I know the route to Florida by heart now.

I think that's all for now.




3 comments:

Martha said...

Glad your trip was a success, illness notwithstanding. It's a shame our paths didn't cross!

chenchy said...

Kudos for a job well done! What a relief to get your first big presentation under your belt! (and with accolades from the higher ups too!)

CatBoy said...

I hope you're feeling up to par by now. I'm glad that all went well for you and that you shined during your moment.

I would not have asked for the book but I appreciate your thinking I would. I might have asked for the chocolate though, if the streets of California were not already paved in Ghirardelli.