Monday, May 21, 2007

Muffin Mixes

In a perfect world, I would have the funds (and the kitchen to match) to have a boy-chef cook and bake for me. In this little fantasy I imagine his creating wonderful, healthy meals for me which I wouldn't guess were healthy--such would be the level of his genius. And he would bake things for me...many things without calories or fat...delicious tasty sensual erotic things; things such as muffins.

Yeah right!

Instead of made-from-scratch muffins, I periodically try those inexpensive muffin mix packets. I know, Charles, I KNOW they are crap, but some are less craptastic than others. For example, the ones I just baked are mixed with water. Last week I baked some that are mixed with milk. The milk-mixed were far superior, as prepackaged muffin mixes go. And I get a meal...an entire meal from a mix that cost less than a dollar. That's not too bad. Of course by the time I split open the tops and put a generous slip of butter inside them, they probably weigh in at 300 calories apiece.

Ah well.

Life is better with muffins.

3 comments:

CatBoy said...

If you find the boy-chef who can cook things that taste great and are guilt-free, tell him to send me his recipes.

Package mixes- some ARE crap, some are decent enough, and some are even quite good. My issue is that most of them have either hydrogenated fat or that high-fructose corn syrup that we are supposed to avoid like the plague.

It would really piss me off if I quit smoking just to die from a corn muffin.

In addition, I have very little cabinet space, so I can't waste too much of it on dry goods. (I suppose if I didn't have so many dishes that belonged to dead relatives, I could make more room, but you know I'll never get rid of any of it.)

Back to the topic of convenience foods. . . This is in many ways the big problem with nutrition: in order to eat well, you need time and you need a certain amount of money, since fresh, quality food costs you.

It's almost as if being health conscious is elitist, since cheaper cuts of meat are fattier and cheaper vegetables tend to be the starchier, less vitamin- and fiber-rich ones.

As it is, I only cook about half the time and I know that I probably spend more on food than some people who cook all the time.

PS. Life IS better with muffins, and with real butter.

vq said...

Hi, Jenny!

Have you tried those Bisquick mixes in the single-batch packets? The cheese biscuits are really, really good (like the ones they serve at Red Lobster), and you only add water and you don't have to roll and cut them. They could almost pass for my grandma's biscuits.

Anonymous said...

now i want a chocolate with chocolate chips muffin you awful woman.

i like to buy pre-packaged muffin mixes from the amish grocery store and pretend that a) i made them from scratch myself and b) they're good for me. i'm so glad i have a great imagination.

charles is so right about healthy food. it takes a lot of time and money to eat right unless someone really wants to live off raw celery and spinach with vinegar.

when i do cook at home, maybe 1-2 times a week, i follow directions and recipes listed in the national heart assn. cook books.

we (meaning I) cut out red meat, all fast food, real butter, milk with fat, egg yolks, and corn syrup from our diet and my guy lowered his bad cholesterol by 84 points in one year. The bad thing? now he thinks he can eat whatever he wants. oh well c'est la vie.
jilly