Sunday, January 31, 2010

The End of Vacation

I have to go to bed in 60 minutes, at which time my vacation will officially be over. I worked about 4 hours today getting caught up on some reports and my email, so ack...I'm not rested at all.

To answer Urban's questions: Our PTO year ends today, so all my vacation days for 2009 are now gone. I didn't use any personal time this year, and in Texas, you lose what you don't use. Nothing rolls over for salaried people like it does in CA.

I cannot remember exactly what I wrote in my last post, so forgive me if I repeat things. Game night ended up not happening, but everyone met at the local watering hole that they call their bar. It actually is a nice Irish pub that feels good, not at all like a meat market or a club. My sister's friends love me (of course!), because I can be quite charming when I want to be and have the energy to be. Everyone had gotten there an hour or two before me because I was trying to run some errands in Dallas, and this bar is in downtown Ft. Worth. They were very kind to wait for me to order in some food.

Guy was there, and I amused myself by propping those cardboard coasters up against his arms on the table, in between his fingers, and on the top of his head. He tolerated it very well and looked adorable. I found that I really like this pear cider the bar has. I'm not a beer fan, and I'm happy to find something on tap that I can enjoy.

One of my sister's friends showed some interest in my drum corps activities, so I used my new phone (which I had just gotten 2 hours prior and didn't have the slightest idea how to use) to try and find some video examples of what it means to be in drum corps.

The group has so many inside jokes that I didn't find 80% of what they were laughing at to be funny. I'm sure I'll get up to speed sooner or later. I played darts for the very first time ever. I lost against Guy, and I lost against my sister, but I wasn't too terribly far behind them.

My new pals are interested in what I do for work, and they ask me some questions which I answer. But I have to say how wonderful it is to be around another group of people who don't want to talk shop. So now I have my work friends, my drum corps friends, Guy, and this new group of people. While all this is keeping me incredibly busy, I think it's wonderful for my mental health and self-esteem and all that good stuff.

I need to get going because I'm going to have a loooong day at work tomorrow. I need to build my new district, which hopefully will be mine for reals. I have 2 more interviews on Tuesday and will have a final answer by the end of the week. Keep your fingers crossed for me! If this happens then I get to move back to Ft. Worth where all my family is, finally build/buy a house, and really become a grown up!

2 comments:

Jilly said...

i'm glad your life is becoming full and i hope you get the dream job and can have "grown up" stuff.

i LOVED working for the government because we never lost any time. Any personal days you don't use or PTO went to sick days, and at the end of your working life, you could either cash out the saved-up time for or retire early and still get paid like you're at work.
We didn't get "vacation" because we already had christmas, holidays, easter, and the summer off, which was great. my friend works for the state and her situation is much the same, except her conract that outlines raises and GS steps sucks.

what would they have done if you'd gone on a dream vacation out of the country while on vacation?

Jilly

UrbanStarGazer said...

Wow, that sucks!Some companies do have caps on what you can roll over but you can usually cash out the difference.

Sounds like things are going well for you, good to hear.

I will keep my fingers crossed.