Friday, December 12, 2008

Saturday--First Drum Corps Rehearsal

The rehearsal is set from 9-7, but since I work from 3-after midnight, I'll only be able to attend part of it.  

It's going to make for a really long day for me, but I'm super-excited.  

I told my staff today that I was going to march drum corps again, and they were very interested in it and what it involves and where they could see me perform.  

I found my old mellophone mouthpiece, polished all the tarnish off of it, and have been buzzing away for a few days on it.  I wonder how long it will take me to get my embouchure back in fighting form...weeks?  months?

As far as the physical part of marching...well, I'm anticipating a world of pain tomorrow.  I'm so out of shape, cardio-wise, that I'm going to be hating life for a while.

The advantage of marching this type of corps is that we're almost all adults, and the instructors will not be yelling at us like they did when I marched a DCI corps at the age of 19.  Yelling doesn't yield results in this case.

Well, I need to get to bed.

Wish me luck, and I'll write a post of how it went after I get home from work late late tomorrow night.

2 comments:

UrbanStarGazer said...

I thought of you today when I was at the Dickens Fair today. Part of the enterainment was a . . . troupe? band? called Pipe and Bowl Morris which was a group of dancers and musicians.

Their opening piece was amazing -- a bunch of bagpipes, other wind instruments, and a really deep drum playing this amazing piece (dunno how to describe it). I thought of you when I saw who was playing the big, deep sounding drum.

She was a young girl of about 18 or 19 and she was the center of the musicians and when I saw her, I thought of you and wondered if she'd been in the drum corps like you.

The rest of the troupe were mid-30s to mid-50s and a woman next to me said that she was a friend of theirs and that she'd known most of them for 45 years, so it was a trip to watch her at the center like that. She seemed to be enjoying herself.

CatBoy said...

I wish you fistfuls of luck. Have fun, you'll be fine.

PS. A stage actor I don't really know, but talk to on occasion (you know who I mean) told me that seconds before going on stage she always says "Whatever happens, just don't let me stink." Seems to have worked for her.