Thursday, December 11, 2008

It's a Me Me Me Me World

Today at work some poor lady had a seizure and collapsed in my store.  We called 911 and an employee of mine and I stayed with the lady on the floor as we awaited the paramedics' arrival.  It turns out that this employee is a former field medic and EMT, which I did not know, and I have dealt with people having seizures in my various stores before, so we had the situation under control.  

And so this lady is on the floor, breathing but unresponsive, and this employee and I are on the ground with her, and a couple of looky-lous pass by and stare.  I don't really have a problem with that...people will stare at the unexpected.  But then this young lady, maybe late teens/early 20s, stops and says, "Are you helping someone feel better?", to which I responded, "Yes".  

But then...yes, then...

This young lady says to us, "Are those bookcases the only cooking books you have?  Because I'm looking for a book called the Vegan Lunch Box, and I couldn't find the Vegan Lunch Box, so can you help me find the Vegan Lunch Box?"  Oh, yes she did.  She did indeed basically ask us to get up off the floor, leave the seizing woman all alone, and help her find her book.  Yup.  She did.

I directed this young lady to the information desk, but then one of my sellers noticed what was happening and offered to help this young lady.  

We were shocked.  We were appalled.   But really, we were not surprised.  

What are your thoughts?

5 comments:

mavis sidebottom said...

I will never understand that kind of thing as long as I live.

Beanns37 said...

My thoughts are that people now adays are horribly self centered and I would have probably said something regretable.

Ded said...

Maybe this woman was having a seizure, herself. You know, the sort that masks all kinds of decentcy and sensitivity and awareness of others. The sort that lasts for years or maybe all of a lifetime.

CatBoy said...

I have said it before and I will say it again "People are stupid."

Anonymous said...

Maybe, just maybe, she had assessed the situation and realized that it didn't take two of you to be kneeling by an unconscious human being? What if she was a secret shopper and was testing you? What if she was an alien and on her world people who lie on the floor are food and she was just angling for an invite, hoping you'd say, "Hey, why be a vegan when you can have some of this fine, aged human meat."

You earthlings are so provincial...