Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Miller Genuine Draft

What are the odds? Two famous Miller men visiting my place of work in the same 7-day span.

Larry Miller, of Waiting for Guffman, Best in Show, Necessary Roughness, and I think Pretty Woman, notariety, dropped by the store late last week to do a stock signing of his book. I can't remember the title of it right now. He was gracious, humorous, polite, and thrilled my staff. I let him use the intercom system to talk about the book, and he was a hoot! He personalized the books, took pictures with my staff, and was an all-around pleasure to encounter.

and...this one's for Schell...

Wentworth Miller. Yes, I finally know what he looks like in person. Now that I've seen him in his pale green fishing hat, I realize that I've seen him before, I just didn't actually look closely enough to notice who he was. I don't look closely at anyone, really. I don't know why, I just don't. He was gracious and polite and very soft spoken. So Schell, you know him now through 2 degrees of separation. Go you.
__________________________________________________________

In other news:

I've been working...a lot. And I mean a lot. Since field training was put on hold for Q2, it all got dumped into Q3 (which just ended), and the beginning of this quarter. This week is our biggest merchandising changeout of the entire year, and that is also a ton of work. But oh my god, the signage and images are phenomenal. We got Robert Sabuda to create our visual theme again this year. We have pop-up Nutcracker soldiers all over the store. It really pops. Go check out a store near you to see all the cool stuff.

And I'm very excited about a couple of books recently. DK publishing has a book called Rainforest and another called Ocean. DK is my favorite publisher, as they use tons of photographs and a great layout design in all their books. I certainly don't need any more books, but I'd like to get those two anyway.

This is the best publishing holiday season in the past decade, so I'm looking forward to excited people and a lot of happy gift buyers.

My job is freaking awesome.
________________________________________________

In other news, I'm taking a vacation next week. I made reservations for a couple nights at my favorite campground again. I hope there's no burn ban this time. I'll need to call ahead to be sure. I do so love a wood fire at night, and a burn ban nixes that option. This'll be the first time I will use the tent on my new car, so I'm eager to try that out. The nights are getting chilly here now, so it'll be nice to have a bit more insulation from the great outdoors. I plan on eating a lot, reading a lot, and sleeping in my hammock a lot.

Now I have to go to sleep.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I could find this out at my local store rather than ask you, but I was wondering how many large print books you stock as a rule. I am assuming it more or less depends on the genre. I have a couple people on my holiday list who prefer and/or need the larger type.

PS. Your blog titles are getting more creative.

schell said...

I am so insanely jealous, you have no idea!

The Broards said...

Larry Miller, of Waiting for Guffman, Best in Show, Necessary Roughness, and I think Pretty Woman, notariety, dropped by the store late last week to do a stock signing of his book. I can't remember the title of it right now. He was gracious, humorous, polite, and thrilled my staff. I let him use the intercom system to talk about the book, and he was a hoot!





larry Miller is WONDERFUL. Find out the name of his book. He's so incredibly funny