Sunday, July 23, 2006

Yellowstone/Glacier Trip, Part VI

July 5, continued...

This morning I got up at 7am, got ready, then walked 100 feet to a little diner owned by a Blackfeet Indian family. I had biscuits with sausage gravy, hashbrowns, sausage, and a vanilla latte. The breakfast tasted off, probably because the sausage gravy on the biscuits had onions and mushrooms in it. Huh? It didn't taste very good.

After breakfast I returned to the motel to grab my backpack for the 8 hour circle tour red bus ride. I packed my camera, lots of bottled water, and some other things I thought I might need. I then drove over to the lodge where we all eventually got on bus 102 with our tour guide Heather Holly.

From this point on I'll let the pictures do most of the work of illustrating what the tour was like.

The red buses seat 17 people plus the driver. Ours was mostly empty when we left Glacier Park Lodge, as we were going to pick up a large number of people at Sir Isaak Walton Inn, which is located along US Hwy 2. From the lodge we ventured down the highway, stopped at a monument commemorating the man who found the pass through the mountains (named Marias pass). The monument is not at all striking, so I didn't take a picture.

From there we picked up a couple at an RV park along the highway, then traveled to Sir Isaak Walton Inn, where some of the cabins outside the inn are in old cabooses.

We picked up two families at the Inn and made a couple of stops on the way to Lake McDonald Lodge. Here we broke for lunch, and I had a good amount of time to investigate old tree stumps, snow melt runoff streams, rocks on the beach, and other things. The view of the mountains was a bit misty, but the lake water was a brilliant azure/turquoise/aquamarine color that our guide has dubbed 'turazmarine'.





4 comments:

The Broards said...

Gorgeous pictures REspighi!!

CatBoy said...

Starch and fat, how can they screw that up? Even I wouldn't put mushrooms in sausage gravy and I'm from California.

UrbanStarGazer said...

Lovely!

The Broards said...

what's new? How are things with your job?